Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Our Childrens' Success

Watch this:  http://youtu.be/NScs_qX2Okk

Sometimes, we forget.  We get lost in the day to day: school, work, activities, fracking etc.  One day, we are cradling our little ones in our arms, the next they are running excitedly to the school bus and then...well, I guess we'll find out!

When our son was born, I looked down at his little, sleeping face, held his tiny hand and wondered what he would be like.  What would those hands do? Who would he look like? What would he be interested in?  What kind of person would he be?  He's not done growing and learning, but already he surprises me with how much he knows about dinosaurs, and math and reading and his imagination never ceases to amaze me.  Like the mothers in the video, I watch him grow and learn and when he accomplishes something he has been working toward, the feeling of pride of being HIS mother brings tears to my eyes.

What those mothers in the video are experiencing is something every mother I know looks forward to experiencing.  Maybe not on such a wordly scale (although it would be pretty cool to see my son in the Olympics or something along the same lines), but seeing their children succeed is central to being a parent.  Whatever they do: a math test, a sport, getting along with friends, conquering a personal struggle - every little success counts. But, with every success, we have to let go of a little part of our attachment.  We can share in their joy and celebrate their success, but those successes become part of who our children are as individuals.  We have to let them grow.  And that, is our job as parents.  They will always be a part of us, because they are our children, biological, adopted or otherwise, but they need to become their own person.

Right now, my 8 month old daughter is sitting next to me in her big girl seat eating puffs.  When she wants more, she leans forward towards me and slaps her hand on her tray.  I'm trying to teach her the sign for "more".  The first time she does it, we will celebrate her success, and she will continue to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or feedback? Go ahead, but please, keep it civil people! Thanks!