Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Time for Kettle Corn: Making your own at home in 10 easy steps!

I love kettle corn.  The sweet and the salt, the crunch and unpredictableness of when you'll get a really sweet piece or salty one.  I decided to try and make my own at home many years ago, and it worked!  I recently decided to resurect my recipe and I've had a couple people ask me how I make it.  So, for your kettle corn pleasure, a step by step guide to making your own kettle corn!

What you'll need:
Popcorn pot of your choosing (see "Pick your pot")
Oil 2 - 3 Tablespoons(vegetable, canola, blend...no olive oil!)
Popping corn
Butter 2 Tablespoons (not margarine!)
Sugar
Salt

1) Pick your pot.  I am  huge fan of Revereware copper bottom pots for making popcorn.  My parents used them and soon after I was married, and lamenting that I didn't have a proper popcorn pot, my dad and sister found one for me at a thrift store and cleaned it up for me.  I need a larger one now that there are 4 popcorn eaters in my family!  Why Revereware?  It's a very light pot and has a light lid, which allows the popcorn the freedom to move and easily raise the lid when I've put too much in the pot (which is all the time now because I'm trying to make bigger batches).

2)

Put about 2-3 T oil (depending on the size of your pot) in the bottom of the pot and tilt the pot to coat the bottom.  It should not be a puddle, but more than a thin coating, so add more if you need to.

3)

Add popcorn - enough to cover the bottom of the pot.

4)

Dice up the 2T of butter into smaller chunks

5)

Evenly distribute the butter chunks.

6)

Using a large spoon (table spoon?), scoop up a spoonful of sugar (it does help the medicine go down, right?).

7)

Liberally sprinkle over oil, popcorn and butter.  I do not end up using the entire spoonful.  Eyeball it for your own taste preference.


8)  Put the lid on your pot and set the burner to med heat.


9) Stay nearby!  When you hear the butter starting to sizzle, swirl the pot to help evenly distribute the melting butter and sugar.  When you hear the popcorn start to pop, swiftly push the pot back and forth over the burner.  Make sure you have your bowl ready!  When the popping slows to a pop or two every second or so, pour the popcorn into your bowl.

10)

Salt to taste!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or feedback? Go ahead, but please, keep it civil people! Thanks!