Wednesday, October 17, 2012

City Girl Goes Camping!

Yes!  She can camp!  Our son's cub scout council holds a family camp two times a year so the families can come and experience what the scouts do during the council's summer camps (tour the various play structures, buildings and the siblings can also shoot BBs, bow and arrow, and this year - slingshots!).  Scout packs are also encouraged to camp over the weekend with the pack's families.  Last year, our pack didn't camp and it was a good thing too because it was cold, wet and miserable.  We went for the main event Saturday camp day, 2 month old daughter in Snugglie and all (we kept each other nice and toasty!), and still had fun, but camping would have been miserable.  BUT, this year, the weather couldn't have been more perfect!

When we got there Saturday morning, it was 27 degrees.  Okay, that's not the perfect weather part.  Yes, it was freezing, but once we got moving, and the sun started doing it's job, it was pretty nice!  First the mittens came off, then the hoods and hats, and finally, around 2:00, we were pretty much in long sleeves and sweatshirts, kids running around the campsite playing football and soccer.  After a morning of "Down on the Farm" themed activities (petting farm animals, horse rides, bee hive, snake and dog training exhibits), the kids were ready to ready to go do some BB/archery/slingshot shooting.  Our walk through the woods to get to the shooting range was beautiful.  I don't know about where you live, but here in PA, the trees have been brilliant this fall!  Bright oranges, canary yellows, fire reds and all the colors in those hue's ranges are represented as far as the eyes can see.  After the much enjoyed shooting range and scavenger hunt, we enjoyed a traditional hot dog dinner, s'mores and camp songs at the campfire!  Even after the sun went down, we were still in just jackets.


(Picture from our campsite, taken by one of the other moms)

I'm not sure how I thought the baby would sleep.  I think I thought she might sleep well because it was just a schosh chilly (and I bundled her as best as I could), but I think the breeze blowing the tent covering, and the fact that she wasn't in her own bed, probably led to her not sleeping her best.  But, she did do well and didn't wake anyone, but me, up with her occasional fussing.  While I may have been sleep weary come morning, I was glad no one else heard her.

In the morning, the men made breakfast!  All the dads hung out around the camp stoves, made coffee and cooked bacon, sausage, eggs, and potatoes and onions.  It was delicious!  More than I hoped or planned for  - these guys know how to camp!

All in all, a fun and fantastic weekend!  People were housed (tented?), organized and fed and there was only one hiccup: my darling husband left the hot dogs in the fridge at home and had to run to a local store for more.  For someone who hasn't camped since she was in 5th grade, I'm pretty proud of my first camping excursion with our kids!  A couple of families are already wanting to do a winter camping trip! I don't know if Little Miss would be up for that (or Mommy!), but we'll see.  For now, I'll bask in the glow of this past weekend's enjoyable camping trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or feedback? Go ahead, but please, keep it civil people! Thanks!